Tuesday, March 3, 2009

State of the Church Planting Address

I just read an article titled: "Improving the Health and Survivability of New Churches."
And while it focused on church plants in the US, there was much to glean.
  • As opposed to (un)popular opinion, most church plants are NOT failing! 68% of new churches are surviving past 4 years.
  • Most of these churches are under 100 in attendance at 4 years, but, these churches are averaging 10-14 baptisms a year after 4 years- which is awesome.
  • The odds of surviving increase 178% when the church plant puts a proactive Stewardship plan in place (Note: we formed our Stewardship Team this Fall! Yeah for us!)
  • Survivability increases 135% when the planter has a support group (Note: I do! Yeah for me. In fact, I just went on a retreat with my peer group... OK, I can't lie, we went on a ski trip. It was AWESOME!)

Other interesting facts on successful plants:
  • 88% have church plants teams (we don't, but have great volunteers!).
  • 63% have a core group of 26-75 people (We exceed this in our number of volunteers).
  • 80% put 10% to outreach and evangelism (besides my salary and rent, I think that ALL we spend money on).
  • 75% are contemporary. I'm amazed that 25% aren't- are they speaking Latin?

OK, here's the scary ones, and the last ones I'll share:
  • 88% of fast growing churches have church planting teams;
  • Over 90% of struggling church plants work with only one paid staff member.
  • 17% of fast growing churches start with one paid staff member.
OK, can I freely say- it's time we hire some staff!
That and some other grow changes have to happen at Connections.

All of this information comes at a critical time as we have been engaged in a "Ministry Review."
  • We invited all our Ministry Team leaders and volunteers to answer a survey;
  • We had a few experienced church leaders "secretly" visit on of our worship services;
  • We meet with these leaders to discuss their impressions;
  • Now we are prayerfully preparing a ministry plan for years 2-4 of Connections.
Soon we will be inviting our peeps to be a part of these Next Steps at Connections.

PS, You can find the church plant study at this website:
http://www.leadnet.org/Resources.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment