I've been preparing for my message this Sunday in our series on sex.
This week our topic is "Good for Us: Sex and Couples."
I dug up this quote which I love.
But it may not make it into my message as it's rather "explicit."
So be warned, it does not shy away from the realities of sex.
On the movie scale I'd say it's rated R.
But it is, I believe, thoroughly biblical and Godly in it's insight...
"He (God) made the woman with an open wound in her body, such that it can only be staunched by a man; and the man He made with a tumor, the maddening pressure of which is only alleviated when it is allowed to grow inside the woman's wound. He made the man to root and to flower in the aching earth of a woman. He made sex, we have cause to suspect, specifically so that it would be difficult for the mind of the man to conceive of anything more earthy, more humiliating, or more desirable, and so to be a constant reminder to him of his true nature.
But it was also to instruct him in a higher nature, and in his destiny. For in touching a person of the opposite sex in the most secret place of his or her body, with one's own most private part, there is something that reaches beyond touch, that gets behind flesh itself to the place where it connects with spirit, to the place where incarnation happens.
"The Holy Spirit will come upon you," the angel told Mary, "and the power of the Most High will overshadow you" (Luke 1:35). Jesus Christ was born to a virgin, not in order to sidestep the messy and embarrassing business of intercourse, but in order that the Lord Himself might be directly involved in it. It is a scandal which the Most High has chosen to consecrate through His own participation."
~ From The Mystery of Marriage, p. 123-124, by Mike Mason.
I love this book. My all-time favorite on marriage.
No comments:
Post a Comment