Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The (God) Wrestler

I recently re-read the story of Jacob wrestling with God, Genesis 32:22-32.

It's an amazing event- Jacob is preparing to meet up with his estranged brother Esau.
He sends off his two wives. (Yep, two)
He's hanging out by a stream.
He gets into a wrestling match with a "man" that lasts all night.
The man throws Jacob's hip out of socket.
Jacob can't win, but neither does he let go.
The man says it's daybreak, let me go!
Jacob says not unless you bless me.
The man asks for Jacob's name.
Jacob replies.
The man re-names Jacob, "Israel."

It means "Struggles with God."

Later God calls his chosen nation "Israel."

He names them, "Struggles with God."
That's something that begs to be pondered.

But what strikes me more in this story today is that Jacob didn't even know he was wrestling with God, but he still didn't give up.

What would I have done?
Would I have struggled all night, or would I have given up?
Would I have just gone to sleep, or would I have wrestled?

Do I still have that kind of fight left in me?
Would I want the win that bad?
Would I still be willing to go all 10 rounds?

Are you still willing to fight for what you want?
Are you still willing to wrestle with God?

It seems like he's picking a fight sometimes.
Like he wants us to scrap with Him.
And only then will He reveal himself.

And only then, like Israel, will we get the blessing.

So go out and wrestle with God today.
After all, that's your name.

1 comment:

  1. intense...

    Though there's another thought here... right between the idea of God "picking a fight" and "we will get the blessing" there's something else Jacob did - he made the choice to continue fighting, and refused to let go unless the "man" gave him a blessing. It's one thing to be willing to scrap with God. It's another thing to welcome it.
    To not run away.
    To step up and face the fight head on.
    And then to refuse to back down without a blessing.

    What if God had said, "you're not ready for the blessing yet, let's wrestle some more." Perhaps it wasn't the fight as much as it was the willingness to continue, in spite of pain, and refuse to give up until God determines that it's time for us to be released. And then, Job 13:15, "though he slay me, yet will I hope in him."

    ReplyDelete