We wrapped up the sex series- Was it Good For You?
For me, it was a very good series.
It challenged me to think, study, and pray through some areas of sex in our culture, and in our lives, in a fresh new way.
After month I have a few closing comments:
First, I believe all the more in God's plan for celebrating the gift of sexuality. Here's what NOBODY said-
you are so legalistic and need to loosen up!
Here's what I heard, in so many words, many times:
I wish I heard this stuff when I was younger!
I wish I would have acted on this stuff when I was first taught it!
This isn't about rules- it's about freedom! It's about getting sex right!
This trajectory that we've talked about- grow up, get a life, get married, have lots of sex- is the best plan for us to follow.
Second, sex really is a gift!
Why isn't the church talking about this more? Jesus said he came to bring offer us life, and life abundant!
Dare I draw a direct connection- God wants us to have a sex life, an ABUNDANT sex life!
Really, his first command is to be fruitful!
So any guidelines He gives us for sex is for our own blessing and His glory.
God's plan is to guide us into an abundant, beautiful, pure and amazing sex life.
Third, all this said about sex, it is only a part of who we are and our lives.
Dare I say, too many people are way too defined by their sexuality.
You can have a very fulfilled life and never be married, never have sexual intercourse.
Really.
In fact, it is a gift from God to be called to celibacy.
And all of use will spend at least the first season of our lives single.
So embrace it!
Fourth, I'm so grateful for my story.
I never really told my story during this series, but many echoes came out in the messages.
I am very grateful that I actually prayed about and planned on being single for life.
I think it was only after I was totally prepared to remain single and celibate that God brought Robin into my life.
I'm so glad, so grateful, my parents taught me God's design for sex, made it very clear that this is simply the best way to live, and expected me to follow this path.
Ultimately it lead me not into celibacy, but marriage.
And I might add, an amazing marriage, wonderful kids, and yes, a fantastic sex life.
(Sorry, too much information, again.)
Fifth, and I'll end here.
Yesterday my heart really did break for everyone who answers the question we've asked, "Was it good for you?" with an unequivocal
NO.
Sex has not been a gift, a blessing, a source of life and love and pleasure for so many.
And that breaks my heart.
And I want everyone broken by sex to be healed in Jesus.
Really.
Here's God's promise for you...
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names. Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure. Psalm 147:3-5
His understanding is beyond ours.
His strength beyond compare.
He knows and names the stars.
He knows you.
He know your wounds.
He will bring healing.
You can listen to the messages at the website, and we are producing a DVD of this series, as there have already been several requests.
No comments:
Post a Comment