Marvin Gaye sang a beautiful song about the connection that can happen in the sexual union back in 1982. For a song with such a explicit title, it's actually a not too raunchy.
Racy, but not raunchy.
But he was singing about the good that can come through the gift of sex.
I'm thinking today about a different kind of sexual healing.
Healing from choices, mistakes, violence in our past.
My wife has been lovingly reminding me that for many the topic of sex stirs up many wounds. It brings back guilt and shame that many feel because of what was done to them as a child, as a youth, as an adult.
It brings out shame and guilt over choices made in the past. Decisions many would love to change, but can not.
Each week I have been intentional to point towards God's all-surpassing grace and mercy. There is no sin too grave, no would too deep, not hurt too great that we can not come to Jesus and find forgiveness, healing and a new beginning.
The bible promises us,
"If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17.
And,
"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you!" 1 Peter 5:7
I'm not sure where I'm going Sunday morning, but I want to go here now.
If you have guilt and shame, for any reasons sexually,
lay that at the feet of Jesus.
Cast that burden to him.
Repent if you have sinned.
Confess and be forgiven.
If you have been sinned against, pray for the power to forgive.
Make a new beginning.
Don't be held hostage to the past, especially past pain and hurt.
And after that prayer, raise your head as a new creation.
Can it be that simple?
Yes, I really believe it can.
You'll have a lot of follow up work to do.
You'll have a lot of growing to do as a new creation.
But wherever you are weak, he is strong. He is able. He will overcome.
Now that's some sexual healing!
No comments:
Post a Comment