
I've been betrayed by my own people.
Or those who I thought were my people.
I found out a group of people from Connections decided NOT to participate in our Connection Group program (our home group ministry) and started their own small group. They said that they wanted to have a group, but the structure we created didn't fit what they had in mind. So they started a "Stealth" group.
I was horrified.
What if this kind of behavior continues? What if more people from Connections decide to take initiative like this? What if more people start opening their homes to friends and neighbors in ways that "work" for them? What will this do to our program?
And get this, not only did they organize and start meeting WITHOUT asking us to do all the work for them, they also started doing community projects together!?! They have actually made plans to start a community garden in their neighborhood.
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE PEOPLE!?!
If this kind of behavior continues people are going to start growing in their faith, impacting their neighborhood, and growing our church...
Oh, wait, I guess that's all good stuff.
Sorry, my bad.
Let me actually address this whole "Stealth Group" movement:
First, our structure exists for people.
We have no desire to force people into our structure.
Our structure only exists to meet what we believe is a real need- Christian Community.
Second, we will have a structure.
We will work to develop and promote our structure.
Many people will need a defined program to step into.
We will work to meet that need.
We will provide the training, space and opportunity.
Third, we will encourage people to pioneer new groups and ministries, like this "Stealth Group."
But let me add two things:
First, we would love to see people creating new groups, ministries, etc in the name of Connections. We hope people would be proud to wear the name of Connections. We would love to see many ministries fall under the "canopy" of Connections.
Second, for this to happen, we should have a conversation. I have no desire to micro-manage everything everyone does, but if we want to make it a part of Connections, we have to be on the same page.
And I think the page is pretty big.
- You want to start an Ultimate Frisbee Team and wear Connections jerseys, we can make that happen.
- You want to organize a book study, let's talk about what you're planning.
- You have an idea for an awesome outreach- SWEET! What do you need?
But again, our structure exists for people. We don't want to force people into the program. And if you have an idea for something that you want to create, and if it fits under the canopy of our mission, then by all means, we want to support you 100%.
So in closing, to my peeps in the Stealth Group- I never want to see you again!
Just kidding- you guys are awesome!
Keep meeting, keep dreaming, keep making a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment