
I stopped in at home for a quick lunch before a meeting today.
Justin asked me to jump with him.
So I quickly packed a lunch to take with me, and went out to bounce.
The girls quickly joined us.
After about 10 minutes I said I had to go.
The following conversation then took place.
Justin: I wish I could cut you in half, then half could go to work and the other half could play with me.
Karis: OR, I could make a copy machine to make copies of you. Then you could so much more. But I'd keep the original you because only the original could do all the stuff you do!
Me: You kids are the best!
For one thing, I love it that my kids love being with me.
I pray they come to understand my work is my calling and they they never resent "the church" for keeping me away from them. (I will add that I am not a workaholic. Yes, I have many evening meetings, but I do get to do things like eating lunch with them in the middle of the day.)
But anyways, they kids raise an important issue-
we often feel so busy, at least in our youth and prime of life, that we wish there were two or more of us, or just more hours in the day.
But instead of trying to do the impossible, why not do what is absolutely within your grasp: figure out what it is God is calling you to do, and do that, and put everything else aside.
Yes, I know, it's not always that easy.
But that is the truth.
We can focus on the things that God calls us to, and free ourselves from distractions and "rabbit trails." For me it means a few simple reminders:
- Start each day giving it all over to God. It's His day and He can have His way with my agenda. This helps give me the eyes to see what God is up to, and those wonderful moments that can surprise and delight.
- I can't do everything, but I can do something. I try to accomplish some very tangible things each day. It really helps my sense of progress.
- I can work ahead. I also try to take a step forward with an ongoing project to get it one step further to completion.
- Work smarter. I'm always open to a new way to do something better.
- Give it away. Sometimes this means a job that takes me only a hour takes me a day to give away. But after I've given it away, it belongs to someone else. This is hard for me, and I need to do more of this.
- Remember what season it is. What is the season of work? Is it time to plant, or time to harvest? They are very different things. I must often remind myself that this is the season to be available to my kids. They won't always be young. They won't always want to bounce with me on the trampoline. So I must be about this season in their lives.
George Saylor thinks too much of himself, and not enough of what God is doing, if he somehow thinks he needs to cut himself in half, or make copies of himself. George can do some great things for God with the one life he's be given.
you should put a disclaimer that it's a bottle of hot sauce in your hands.... :)
ReplyDelete