Tuesday, May 12, 2009

If I had a million more dollars!

One thing was intentionally missing from yesterdays post about what I'd do with a million dollars.

Mission.

Here's the thing- it's waaaay too broad to just say you want to give to mission.
But here are a few things that would direct our mission process.

First, I will never stop believing that Jesus is the mission.
Praising him, telling his story, introducing others to him- that's not just central to our mission.
It is a mission.
Too many churches get so wrapped up in having conversations about discovering their mission, their ministries, their outreach projects that they miss what's right in front of them.

Second, this is not to say their isn't a need to ministries of mercy and compassion, outreach and service. That is biblical. This is an area for us to continue to explore. There are many partnerships we can form. Many areas of neglect where we can step in. It will be very exciting to see where God directs us through the passion of his people at Connections.

Third, one of our first avenues of mission would be to plant other churches. I look forward to the day when Connections can say we have given to church planting what were give to plant, and more!

Fourth, we would build on areas we are already involved, but stay focused on volunteering. Someday I'll have to give a thorough list of all the service people in our church contribute.
Some of it is very formal- one of our Connectors is actually a volunteer chaplain at a local care facility.
Some of it just flows naturally out of peoples lives- like the couple who fosters needy children.

Well, I've only scratched the surface.
I'll write more on a whole theology of being missional later.
But suffice to say- a million would go a long way in mission, but that one requires a lot more than just writing a cheque.

No comments:

Post a Comment