Monday, May 11, 2009

If I had a million dollars...


I was Manga'ed yesterday! Thanks Ellie- you ROCK!
I think I look pretty cool!
FYI, Manga is this style of art, usually associated with Japanese animation.
(Just Google it if you want to know more.)

A word of explanation- we started the service with my debut with the music team singing "If I had a million dollars."
I was informed that is was also my "farewell" with the music team.
Apparently I don't make the cut.

The truth is- I knew I'd never make the cut.
I realize singing is not in my "gift set."
It was just a fun way to start the morning, have some fun with Mother's Day, and introduce our topic.
But it got me thinking...

What would I do with a million dollars?


So here's my answer. This is what I'd suggest as a outline of what Connections would do if someone wrote us a million dollar cheque today.

First, I'd assemble a few trusted people to create our management plan.
Second, I'd focus our management in four areas:

1. Staff. I always like the plan to invest in people. This would transition our church into a more structured, team-led approach to ministry. I would LOVE that. The tricky part here is that I have no desire to hire from the "outside." I would want to transition some of our current people into part-time or full time work with Connections.

2. Ministry Center and Business Front. Our new staff person(s) would need a place to work. With this kind of money we could actually decide what kind of space we want, rather than simply looking for what is cheap and available. As a basic guideline I'd love something in a desirable location, that could double as a business, and would have enough space for small to mid-sized group meetings. (Big enough for band practice and meetings with maybe 35-40 people)

3. Marketing. Yeah, I know, the dirty word for some churches. We've done very little "marketing." We paid to have signs put up at the mall for a few weeks (They left them up for over 6 months!) and we occasionally run Facebook ads. But really, we've been a grass-roots, word-of-mouth movement. But if we were given the resources I'd love to let the community know we exist!

Our primary mission is sharing Jesus with London- so any way to get that word out is directly in line with what we are about. I don't think we'd put too much here, but it would be great to run some radio spots, put up a bill board, and plan a marketing "event." Some event to service the community and stir up a lot of interest in Connections.

4. Expansion. If we had the first three in place I think we'd see more people meeting Jesus and getting involved, so we'd need some resources to expand- a second worship service, more equipment, more printed materials, more coffee! While more people means more resources, this would allow us to get this started, then become self-sustaining over time.

There you have it.
A rough outline of what I'd do if tomorrow I get a million dollar cheque.

Just make it payable to "Connections Community Church."
Or we can make arrangements for Direct Deposit.
Just don't use the online giving for such a large amount.
Cash would be cool if you really feel compelled to go that route.
But really, one of the first two options would be best!

1 comment:

  1. Where's the audio link for this? Seriously... I want the audio! Who has the recording? I loved it... it was great.

    ReplyDelete