
Last night was simultaneously the greatest and worst night of my life.
The LOST season finale aired.
It was so good that I couldn't even fully enjoy it, knowing that this is end of the season.
If I could go into a cryogenic sleep until January 2010 I would.
2010?!?!?! Really.
Honestly, the next 7 months will simply be filler in my life. A commercial break so to speak.
I will be going through the motions of life, but nobody will be home.
Alright, I'm not that bad, but that show is amazing.
I'm not writing an apologetic for LOST, but I will say why I like it so much.
First, it's about connections. The deeply interwoven connections between people, places and powers beyond their control or understanding. That alone is fascinating.
Second, it's intelligent. It makes you stay on top of the story line. It assumes you can draw your own connections and find meaning in the story.
Third, it's as much about what is NOT said, as what is said. I'm still learning this as a communicator. So much is told to us in LOST through what is left unspoken. Again, it assumes that you have a base of knowledge and life experience through which to reflect on and better understand the story.
Fourth, it is free. Somehow the writers seem to truly be free to NOT write to try please or pander to the audience. Again, this is something that interests me as a communicator. There are times when I'm literally talking to the characters as I'm watching, tracking with them or anticipating what I'd do. Then characters will make different decisions. Ones I would not make. Ones that make me mad! But ultimately, it only pulls me in deeper.
LOST has basically ruined me for shows that wrap things up at the end of each episode. It has even ruined me for movies. Even the biggest summer blockbusters can touch the depth of character and development that 5 seasons have created.
I could go on, but again, it's just a show. If you enjoy it, great. If not, that's fine.
And finally, as for my take on the finale and where season 6 is headed:
- Oceanic Flight 815 will land.
- Fate/destiny will still bring the characters together in ways outside of their control.
- Jacob will be resurrrected.
- Locke is the anti-Christ.
- Jack will be redeemed.
- Ben will be sacrificed.
- Kate is a flake (sorry, that's just my opinion).
- Sawyer and Juliet will still find each other.
- Jin and Sun, I'm not so sure.
- Hurley will be the surprise hero.
- Sayid will be restored.
- Desmond will fulfill his promise.
- Free will, in the end, will make a surprising comeback.
wow ... you thought about this a lot. weren't you supposed to be writing your own deep thoughts in the form of a sermon this afternoon??
ReplyDeletegood thoughts though ...
ps if it weren't for the Mentalist I'd say we should cancel cable for the next 7 months