Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Where are people sitting?



I was recently asked about how I write sermons.
Part of my answer involved my consideration of the audience.
I always picture a few people in my life listening to my message.
I think experts call this "Empathizing."
I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm doing.
I generally don't presume to "feel your pain."

But I do presume to share the common human experience.
So I think about that and speak to common needs...
  1. Everybody needs to be loved.
  2. Everybody needs purpose.
  3. Everybody needs forgiveness.
  4. Everybody wonders about death.
  5. Many people are filled with guilt.
  6. Many are consumed with bitterness.
  7. EVERYONE NEEDS JESUS!
When I preach I generally start with the human experience.
I try to ask questions or raise issues that we all share.
From there I bring in biblical truth and understanding.
But in reality I always start with the biblical truth.
It's amazing how the bible always reads our lives.

So what do you think?
Anything missing from my list?
What else is common to the human experience?
Where are you "sitting" and what are you asking?
Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment