Friday, June 5, 2009

Those next steps...

OK, for those that follow, as promised yesterday, here are some current thoughts on our next steps.

A new service at a new time for new people.

MANY churches start a new worship service, or new ministry, which only taxes those the church has already reached. The new service just divides the existing congregation, or reaches a nitche that already exists in the church.
Now sometimes this is exactly what a church needs to do.
But this is NOT what we envision for our new service.

Some of you will remember back year and a half ago when we started a new service for a church that didn't exist called "Connections."
No one asked us to plant a church.
No one asked us to start a service.
We felt lead. We prayerfully pulled it together. We launched. We created a whole new community.

When I say a new service at a new time for new people, that what I'm talking about.
We did it before. We can do it again.

I'm convinced we should move in this direction for two reasons:

First, there are tons of folks we'll NEVER reach with a Sunday morning service.
It doesn't matter if it's 9am, 10am, 11am. They aren't coming!
But, they might be part of something that gathers early Sunday evening.
And I think that's our hook. Maybe 6pm. Late enough that the day feels done. Early enough to get home, settle in, and get ready for the coming week.

Second, this new service seals Connections identity as multi-faceted, people led community.
One one level doing a second service is easy for me- I preach the same message again.
But effectively we need to depend COMPLETELY on our community to organize and operate this new launch.

I am simply convinced that we can be a inter-connected church of multiple congregations.
A family friendly, fun gathering in a theatre on Sunday mornings.
A young adult driven club culture on Sunday evenings.
And more...

Each exists under the Connections banner, vision and values.
But each has it's own particular personality or vibe.
Some cross-pollination to get it started, but effectively a whole new thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment