First, I did not have our 100th service anywhere on my radar. Robin said, "Hey, we have to be getting close, and we should do something!" Thanks for being aware Robin.
Second, I have to thank her for saying we should focus on "thanks."
Then offering Psalm 100 as a text.
A psalm. For giving thanks.I don't normally think of preaching the Psalms.
1 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
2 Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
3 Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
5 For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.
They are great prayers. Great songs. Great laments. Great inspiration.
But I just don't think of them at preaching/teaching material.
Boy was I wrong.
I am so excited about this Sunday's message.
Reading, praying, working over this Psalm is changing my heart.
So here's how you can begin getting ready:
Take a block of time, as much as you can afford, and just start writing a "Thank You" note to God. Take the time to put down in words the gratitude that God deserves.
You're going to discover two things:
First, you'll write out all the easy and obvious stuff.
Then, after you wonder if there's anything else to write, you'll look a little deeper.
And there you will find a well-spring of thanksgiving that is going to surprise you.
And I make you this promise.
Do this exercise, and you'll thank me later!
No comments:
Post a Comment