Friday, September 25, 2009

Going the Extra Mile



I saw a guy running with a shirt that read,
"The extra mile is an open track."
It about stopped me in my tracks.
The extra mile is often a lonely road.
One walked alone.
One few dare to tread for exhaustion, laziness, or just plain-old apathy.

I thought about what it would look like for Connections to start going to extra mile...
To make sure every volunteer position is filled, and more.
To greet every visitor AND regular into worship.
To inspire and bless everyone, every week, by never settling for a "regular" worship service.


To go the extra mile in home groups...
To have leaders prepared hosts ready to provide hospitality.
To phone every group member, especially when they miss a week.
To do something as a group to bless the neighborhood.

To go the extra mile in follow-up...
To send a letter and gift to every visitor.
To send another letter a month after a visit.
To follow-up with everyone who seems to have drifted away.

I often want to blame our lack of resources for not always going the extra mile.
But it's no excuse.

My dentist goes the extra mile...
I get a newsletter every quarter.
I get a reminder the week before an appointment.
I get a call the day before an appointment.

If my dentist can do it, so can Connections.

What will going the extra mile look like for you as a part of Connections, or with your job, or just as a friend and neighbor?

It's a lonely mile, but the one that makes all the difference.

1 comment: