- Everybody needs to be loved.
- Everybody needs purpose.
- Everybody needs forgiveness.
- Everybody wonders about death.
- Many people are filled with guilt.
- Many are consumed with bitterness.
- EVERYONE NEEDS JESUS!
First, let me say, I think it's difficult. The cards are stacked against us to get folks into worship, to fully engage in the worship experience, to get them to connect with the words being said, to actually absorb and apply what is being said. That is nearly impossible.
So here's what I think I'm actually trying to communicate in the flow of a message:
- Know What? What is it that the bible teaches that we need to know. You have to be able to articulate that truth in one simple statement. They call this "The Big Idea."
- Know Why? Next I try to communicate why this truth, this big bible idea, is so important. Sometimes I actually start here in structuring a message, then let the big idea reveal itself.
- Do What? Since the big idea is truth, since we know why it's important, what do we do with it? Here is where I tell some real stories of applications or lives changed by the truth.
Big Idea: God has given us the gift of prayer. (Let's be honest, kinda boring.)
Why: We can now be in a conversation with God. (That sounds a little more exciting.)
Now What: You should go pray. (Very obvious, not very inspirational, heard that a hundred times.)
In the past I ended here. That's basically what they taught me in seminary, and what I had modeled for me in preaching. The big idea, why it's important, how it's applied. That's easy enough to remember and actually build a sermon around. But I don't think that does it any more. Now I'm try to add one more step, maybe two.
- Why Do What! I'm still figuring this out, but I think the sermon actual peaks when we can articulate the difference the applied truth will make in our lives and our world. Here one would express why this APPLIED truth, not just the truth, is so important. This is the story of inner transformation.
- Now Do This! This goes beyond a "do what," which is usually more conceptual, to something incredibly specific nobody can miss it.
Why Do What! He we paint a picture of how engaging in a conversation with God actually takes you into the relationship. Here we illustrate why this kind of prayer actually makes all the difference in our relationship with God and changes us.
Now Do This! Now we give a totally concrete take home-
pray this prayer the next 30 days.
Start using this prayer journal every morning.
Now the people know exactly what to do. They may chose not to do it, but they are totally clear on what they were invited to do.
Personally, I need to spend more time on the "Now Do This" part. This can not be the simplistic application that will cause people to role their eyes. I need to spend some real energy on articulating the thing that needs to happen in the moments, days, or years to come.
Let me know your thoughts if you can help be think about the very structure of communicating God's truth.
Thanks for sharing this George.
ReplyDeleteIt's helpful to understand the process you go through in crafting your sermons...definitely a challenging task...
Thanks for your candid post.
in Christ,
Mark