I've noticed on many occasions how Christians invoke the words "I believe" when talking about ministry, church and life plans.
They "believe" God is going to do all sorts of things for them.
They believe God is going to bring a revival, double their finances, triple their church numbers...
(All potentially great things.)
I've also noticed how it makes the people around them start to "up their game."
They have to start "believing" that God is going to do all sorts of stuff as well.
I think they want to sound really sure of themselves,
and really spiritual.
If they don't believe God is going to do things for them, and in their life, they are second-class Christians.
I have a lot of beliefs.
I believe God loves me.
I believe the church is the answer to the problems of this world.
I believe in the promises of God- I believe Jesus is savior and Lord, I believe in the power of the Holy Spirit, I believe in the now present and forth-coming consummation of the kingdom of God.
But I also have a lot of hopes, and hopes are different.
I hope my family and I experience good health.
I hope my needs are met.
I hope my church grows in size and diversity.
I hope we have success in all our ministry endeavors.
I hope God uses Connections to change lives and grow His kingdom.
Will my beliefs crumble if my hopes are not all realized?
Not a chance.
I'll be humbled and in awe of God's power if my hopes match His will.
So be careful where you put your beliefs, and where you put your hopes.
Or at least in how you talk about them.
Believe in the promises of God.
And hold fast to the hope that He will use you to accomplish His promises in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment