Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"The Blessed One" Challenge

Why is Matthew 5:3-12 called the "beatitudes?"
I have no idea.
After several weeks of study I'm convinced that it's a misleading tag.
These are not simply about our attitude.

Now I'm not knocking the power of attitude.
Like many have said, life is about 90% our attitude and response.
But in hanging this tag on these verses I think it subverts the real message here.
This isn't just about attitude.
It's a way of being.
More so, it's a way of being when we are in Jesus-
When we've put our faith in him as savior and Lord, and see ourselves as truly "found" in him.

I could rant about this, but instead, here's my challenge. (This goes along with the whole MANIFESTO challenge- to read all or part of Matthew 5-7 every day this summer).

Memorize these "blessed..." pronouncements, and see what they begin to do IN you.
They are very easy to put to memory.
Four "P" blessings, 3 "M" blessings, a long one in the middle, and then an encouragement to close. And once you have them memorized, you don't even have to read this intro anymore-
you can pray it whenever you want.

So here goes, from memory...
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
Blessed are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when people persecute you and insult you and say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who came before you.

OK, I think I got it, but I may have messed up that last part a little bit.

The point is this- get it in you so it can be a part of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment