Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The two that walked away

On Sunday's service a couple came to church whom I did not recognize.
They seemed happy coming in.
They were greeted.
I think they even got some coffee.
I was proud of the team doing their job to make visitors feel welcomed and comfortable.

(We are all about the first impression. It's insane how the first 5 minutes are so important.)

The couple had that look of, "We're waiting for someone."
But later Robin told me she saw them, just moments too late, as they walked out.
She said it looked like they were headed for McDonalds.

Now I don't know what to make of it.
Did someone invite them then not show up?
Maybe I totally wrong. Maybe they did not feel welcome.
Maybe they were not waiting for anyone.
Maybe they were waiting for someone to really take them by the hand and show them around.
I don't know.

I'm afraid I'll never know.
And no matter how GREAT the service was on Easter Sunday,
and it really was great,
What I remember is the couple that walked away and went to McDonalds.

They could have meet Jesus, but they choose the breakfast burrito.
Did we have anything to do with that?

What I do know is that Jesus left the 99 sheep safe in the fold to go after the one that wandered off.
We had 200 folks at worship, but 2 wandered off.
I wish I could go after them.
But I don;t even know their names.

I pray that if see them again,
of if they visit Connections again,
we won't let them wander off.
But will welcome them home.

1 comment:

  1. What if.... just a thought... since people will always slip through, and wind up at McDonald's... what if there was an invisible man that really encouraged a "next steps" approach? I say invisible, because it may not be a person - it may wind up being a pamphlet, or an invitation card of some kind -- or a person. What if something huge, bold and obvious (but not overwhelming) stood out as a "Was this your first time here? Take this pamphlet..." message. If a person can do that, all the better...

    Consider this: we focus on 5-minute first impressions, but when the service ends, is there a 5-minute last impression? Are visitors motivated to seek Christ, or chicken mcnuggets? When a service ends, most of us take home what we've learned, and have a home group to further our study later in the week. But for newcomers, the home group would be overwhelming, and they're probably not ready for it yet. The comment card, as great as it is, requires the person to be carrying a pen, or may even require some motivation to encourage them to fill it out. If they're new to church, how much (in this day and age of privacy concerns) would a person be motivated to give out their contact info? Some people might love doing it... some might simply be afraid. Some might not want to admit "I'm new here". Although my family has been attending for a year, and for a stretch way back in the first days of Connections, it's actually all-too-easy, even for us, to slip out at 11am, grab the kids from the party rooms, and slide out the doors without anyone noticing. Unlike when we arrive, and 5 people greet us... of course, this now has my mind churning... first impressions are the most important, but last impressions can seal--or destroy--the potential.

    If by "chance" the couple who went to McDonald's happen to read this post, and this comment... we'd love to see you again next week...

    ReplyDelete