Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Exponential: The Art of Movement

Well, I dropped the family off in Naples with their grandparents and drove over to Orlando this morning for the Conference. (http://www.exponentialconference.org/)

I hope it's worth it, as I'm already wishing I was being buried in the sand by my kids!

We're at First Baptist of Orlando. It's one of those churches that's bigger than a mall.

As I was driving in I thought about a phone call I received just out of seminary. The pastor of First Presbyterian of Orlando, another one of those huge churches, was a grad of my seminary. Somehow he heard through the grapevine that I showed some promise as a new pastor. He invited me to come down for an interview for an associate pastor position.

Now believe it or not, associate positions in tall steeple churches are understood to be stepping stones. Make a good impression as an associate at a big church, get offered a big church.

I really didn't give it much thought. I said I think I'd do better being more in control of my ministry. I thanked him, and we said goodbye.

But driving by that campus made me think, where would my life be now if I had said yes? Probably not in London Ontario planting a church in a movie theatre. But who knows.

Conferences, for me, provide as much time to reflect as the do to inform. Meeting other people in ministry, hearing their stories, listening to speakers- it's very much a chance for me to take an inventory of my life.

Perhaps God has me here for that reason as much as anything else. To have some quiet in the midst of thousands of people. To take a look at Connections and gain some perspective. To think about where we at, and where God is leading us.

Of course all this fall on the heels of the "Double Vision" message this past Sunday. As list those goals/dreams I talked about, and as I see the message topics offered at the conference, the cross-over is pretty amazing.

Anyways, all this to say, I believe I'm here for a reason, and while I'd like to be body surfing with my kids, that can wait until Friday.

For now, I'm here to work.
And Erwin McManus is about to speak!
later,
G

No comments:

Post a Comment