Monday, April 13, 2009

Three children's resources...

This past week we had more structured family devotions to prepare for Easter.
Some days went great.
Other days not so great.

Three kids, all very wonderful, very unique, at very different levels.
We ended up talking about having devotions as much as we had devotions.
But it's all part of the process.

It got me thinking about many things related to raising kids. So I'll write a few blogs about it.
First, three of my favorite children's resources.

"The Children's Bible in 365 Stories." This is perfect for little kids up through pre-teens. Easy to read, long enough to have some detail, short enough to keep their attention, amazing realistic artwork, easy to use- 365 essential bible stories, chronological.
This bible perfect right up until the time they are ready for a "normal" bible with chapter and verse references.


"Leading Little Ones to God." This is the essential devotional guide for all parents. Get this. It's wonderful.
But I will warn you now- it's terribly dated. I think my wife should write the publisher and pitch a plan to update this awesome book with contemporary references and artwork. Then it would be the best book EVER!
(My wife hasn't pitched this idea yet as she seems to think that homeschooling three kids, planting a church, running a home and taking care of me keeps her busy enough- what a sluggard!)


"Big Truths for Little Kids." Finally, if you want something really intense and instructional, here it is. This the Heidelberg Catechism, kids version, woven into a story about a family- Brilliant!
The stories bring to life and application each of the Q&A's of the Catechism. We have read this through several times, but, I will confess, we have not memorized the Catechism.

Well, maybe Eden has memorized this on her own, but she's scary smart.
I'm talking, alien life-form kind of smart.
She was talking to me in Spanish the other day.
I failed Spanish.
I felt like an idiot.
But I digress.

There you have it- three of my favorite resources for families.
Get the bible, then get the devotional, then, if your weird like we are, get the Catechism.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks George, that's great. I'll be checking these out!

    ReplyDelete