Monday, November 9, 2009

Review: the 80/20 Church Core

Just a reminder- you'll want to give yourself some time and read Steve Pye's series, the 80/20 Church Core if you are interested in issues around volunteerism, organization structure, vision and financing the vision. Here's the link to the final post.

Here's my review:
From the introduction: "...when there is misunderstanding, it is primarily the fault of the communicator."
I hate that. It's so true. As a communicator, I want to fault my audience when they don't "get it."
But Steve is right. Saying it's the listeners fault is the wussy position to take.
All communications must own up to there message and their audience and make it their job to be understood. Nuff said.

From day 2, Business Concepts: a core competency is a "product or service that is vital to your business' operation, without which, your business would not function.
What are the churches core competencies?
Here's my gut level response as pastor:

Preaching the gospel: this means we "own" the effective communication of the gospel. We don't outsource (through we do partner). We don't fault our audience when they don't "get it." We makeit our job to tell the story so faithfully that others becoem part of our story. This would include something like the open gathering for worship service, but is not limited to this format.

Providing Community: We create a structure for people to find friendship and fellowship with others in the church of all ages, stages and backgrounds. Within this community opportunities for learning and growth (discipleship) are provided.

Promoting Mission: We must build a structure that allows for participation on the mission through volunteering and service. This pertains to both within the walls of the church, and in the world. And yes, as a church without walls, this line is intentionally blurred at Connections.

I'm gonna say that's it. I can think of dozens of more things, but I think I could 'categorize" everything else into one of these areas. For example, promoting mercy and justice- that goes in mission. Children's ministry- Community. Everything is interconnected, but can fall into one of those three core areas.

OK, that's probably enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment