Thursday, September 2, 2010

It's Gonna Get Worse...

If you're feeling like whining about your life, I encourage you to read Jeremiah 12.

Jeremiah is depression, discouraged, down in the dumps.
He's got it bad.
And so he tells God.
Righteous are you, O LORD,
when I complain to you;
yet I would plead my case before you.

He proceeds to tell God a bunch of stuff God already knows about how bad folks are and what a bad place he finds himself in.

Then God gets quiet, and says oh so tenderly...
  5"If you have raced with men on foot, and they have wearied you,
   how will you compete with horses?
And if in a safe land you are so trusting,
   what will you do in the thicket of the Jordan?

Basically God tells Jeremiah,
"You think it's bad now?  You haven't seen anything yet!
This is like a walk in the park compared to where you are going to walk!
This is a day at the beach compared to the days ahead of you.
You think this is bad?  This is like paradise compared to what you are going to have to endure!"

(And we wonder why Jeremiah was called the weeping prophet?)

Folks, I have some really bad news for some of you...
It's going to get a whole lot worse.
The next few days, weeks, maybe even years, they are going to be tough.

But don't worry, God saved the best word for last...
14Thus says the LORD concerning all my evil neighbors who touch the heritage that I have given my people Israel to inherit: "Behold, I will pluck them up from their land, and I will pluck up the house of Judah from among them. 15And after I have plucked them up, I will again have compassion on them, and I will bring them again each to his heritage and each to his land.

Bad times may be just around the corner, but give it some time, and God will pluck you up and out of the land of your misery, and bring you to better place with compassion.

Just pray it doesn't take 70 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment