Saturday, February 7, 2009

What matters most...

Tonight is one of those nights where my beliefs are tested.
Normally I go out for a walk on Saturday night to pray and prepare to preach.
But tomorrow I'm not preaching.
So what will do with tonight?
Part of me is relieved to let Ben take it tomorrow.
He's awesome.
Part of me is anxious because the Sunday service still feels like my baby, and we still have a lot of growing to do.
Part of me just wants to relax tonight because I don't have much to prepare.
But I can still pray.
And I will pray.
I have this belief that preparation for preaching is only half the work.
The other half is prayer.
I know that sounds spiritual.
But it's nights like tonight that I really get to put that to the test. To still pray over every part of the service- the nursery, the toddlers, the children's theatres, the greeters, the ushers, the cafe, the prayer room, the welcome table, the music, the lights, the media, the message- everything. To really pray for the whole "vibe" of the service. To pray that it's the best service we've ever had, that lives are inspired and even changed. To pray that someone, or some ones, far from God will come to faith.

I might not be preaching tomorrow, but I'm still the leader/pastor of Connections.
And so I pray.
Tonight I won't look like the crazy guy talking to himself, walking down the street.
I don't have a message to run through in my mind.

Tonight I'll just look like someone deep in thought.
Actually, in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment