Thursday, February 26, 2009

Going to Gram's Wedding

Sorry for going MIA for so long.
A trip to Revloc Pennsylvania is like a trip around the dark side of the moon- you are out of contact with the world.
But even if I had Internet access, I would have probably just laid low.

If you're just now catching up with my life, my Gram died last week.
We left immediately after the worship service and drove to the viewing.
My kids were great. They all wanted to see Gram.
They even wanted to touch her.
They asked if it would be OK.
Even at an early age we have to be taught how to mourn.

We told them it was fine.
It's fine to touch her body.
It's fine to tell stories.
It's fine to laugh.
And it's fine to cry.

They didn't know Gram enough to cry, but the rest of us sure did.

Monday was the funeral. It was a miserable winter day. Very appropriate.
I didn't have to officiate the whole thing.
Gram's former pastor, Stanley, was there to help.
So I read the bible.
I share my thoughts.
I prayed.
Gram's cousin played piano, and when it was obvious that no one else was going to stand up and start the singing, yours truly tried to do his best, without trying to actually lead. It was pretty bad.
But the piano was beautiful.

My son Justin kept getting mixed up.
He'd ask, "When are we going to Gram's wedding?"
He was mixed up, but he was also right.

We celebrated Gram's wedding- her union with her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Her reunion with my Pap George, her brother George, and a whole lot of other George's, and other saints from ages past.

It was a difficult yet beautiful day.
I don't think it's fully hit me yet.
Which is OK.
We'll keep on keeping on.
We'll tell stories and remember good times.
We'll look forward to even better ones to come when we too join in the wedding feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment