
My father rarely calls my cell phone from Florida, as it costs him a ton.
So when he calls it's either something great, like celebrating the Steelers Superbowl victory.
Or it's something bad.
My Gram has been in and out of the hospital the past few weeks, so when my dad called this morning my brain immediately started to all those bad places.
My first question was, "How's Gram?"
Fine. I was relieved.
But, he added, I called to tell you that Pastor Streets died.
Few of my readers would know Pastor Streets, but he pastored the church where I grew up.
He was at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Johnstown PA for over 50 years.
His two sons, Ray Jr. and David, took over preaching and leading a few years ago,
but he remained very active in ministry.
I'm still processing the news.
It would be hard to articulate how much of an impact he had on my life.
Listening to him preach/teach year after year.
Watching the church grow.
Seeing lives changed.
Seeing his passion for reaching people far from God.
He handed me the opportunity for my first mission trip, and many after that.
He supported me throughout all my years of campus ministry.
He supported my through seminary.
He supported my calling to go into church planting here in London.
For all my life, he's been there.
I hope everyone has, or has had, a Ray Streets in their life.
They are rare. They are wonderful.
I'm only now starting to realize he won't be there anymore.
But how wonderful the promise that he is with his savior in Glory!
And I'm certain the first words he heard were,
"Well done, my good and faithful servant."
I hope this day finds you all experiencing more joy than pain.
I hope this day we all might tell someone how much they mean to us, and the impact they've made in our life.
No comments:
Post a Comment