If you've been following along with the Apostle's Creed Challenge you should have noticed three sections. These reflect the doctrine of the Trinity.
I believe in God the Father Almighty...
in Jesus Christ his son, our Lord...
in the Holy Spirit.
The Creed is worth reciting daily for this affirmation alone-
the revelation of our God as the loving father who sent the son;
the son who saves us through his atoning sacrifice;
the Spirit who is sent to enliven and dwell in all who believe.
But let's just reflect a moment on this middle section concerning Jesus.
Why all the fuss around his birth?
Why the huge gap between his birth through Mary, and his suffering under Pilate?
Did he really descend into hell, and why?
Instead of answering all these questions, let me just affirm these questions, and more.
This is the beauty of the Creed- when it gets us opening the bible, seeking understanding, and praying to God for insight, it is at its best.
The Creed was finalized during a period when there were man competing views on Jesus.
I'm reminded of an expression- "The more things change, the more they stay the same."
Seems that folks will always debate on the real, historical Jesus.
How wonderful to know that we have a resource to affirm the real, historical Jesus, handed down through the centuries to help our belief.
George,
ReplyDeleteIt is wonderful to see you still in His glory so strong. I sure do miss you guys here in North Carolina.
I am working part time at the Shelter Home here in Lenoir. That's why I am up so late. I work all night on Thursday and Friday each week. I am also a Facilitator for "Darkness to Light" "Stewart of Children" training adults that children should not have to protect themselves from sexual abuse.
I hope to follow you and your teachings. Maybe I will come there someday.
Lots of Love, In HIS name.
Jan Nash