Thursday, January 29, 2009

Back to our mission...

Yesterday someone asked to be removed from our email list. (Incidentally, that's just fine with me- I have no desire to annoy people with emails.) I was actually surprised they waited this long. He hadn't been to Connections in months, and only came a few times.

Here was his explanation- "I've gone back to my old church."

Christians will always find a church.
They were part of a church.
They will be a part of a church.
If they come to Connections and don't like what we do, they'll go back to their church, or visit yet another one.

Which is why I don't really waste much of my time with Christians.
I really don't.
I really don't care about planting a church for the already churched.
I really don't care about making them feel happy or fed.
I really don't care about creating a worship service or home groups that meet their "needs." (codeword for their preferences)
I really don't care about winning them over.

I care about all those folks who would NOT be a part of a faith community if it wasn't for Connections.
I care about those folks who would otherwise NEVER go to a "worship" experience.
I care about those folks who are yearning for relationships but have NO idea where to find them.
I care about those folks who simply want a community that will love them and share God's love with them.

So let me tell everyone why we do what we do-
"For the Son of Man (Jesus) came to seek and to save what was lost." Luke 19:10
We are a part of Jesus' mission to seek out those who feel far from God and who are lost without him.

So if any Christians want to join us in Jesus' mission- jump on board.
Otherwise, I know you'll always be able to go back to your old church.
And that's just fine. It really is. They need you, and you need them.
They too are the body of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. George - you should preach this. I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete