Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I Don't Live On Bread Alone

I'm three days into my prayer and fasting.
21 days, leading up to Easter, no mid-day meal, more time in prayer.
Seeking direction through ashes of our fire.
Seeking resurrection.

Why fast at all?
It's a physical way to match a spiritual yearning.

Ultimately I don't make any food I eat.
I don't even prepare it (thanks to Robin).
God makes it all.

Likewise, I need wisdom and direction from God.
I can't make it.
I can't conjure it up from within.
I don't even want to.

It needs to come from God.
I need to know it comes from Him.


My fast much try to equal the need to my soul.
Jesus is the bread of heaven
Jesus is the spring of living water.
Jesus is the living word of God.

To come through this trial, this testing in the desert,
I look to Him alone.

He fasted.  He was tested.
But he did not fail.

In Him we have victory.
In Him we have everything we need.

 1(A) Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness(B) to be tempted by the devil. 2And after fasting(C) forty days and forty nights, he(D) was hungry. 3And(E) the tempter came and said to him, "If you are(F) the Son of God, command(G) these stones to become loaves of bread." 4But he answered, (H) "It is written,

   (I) "'Man shall not live by bread alone,
   but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment