Monday, April 4, 2011

Easter Prayer and Fasting

If we were watching a movie about a church, and the church burnt down,
you would know one of two things was about to happen.

The story was about to end as a tragedy.

Or, against all odds, and in the face of great adversity...

The best part of the story was about to unfold.

Having a fire destroy our Ministry Centre is a pretty dramatic turn in the story of Connections.
But I don't think it's a tragic ending.

I believe the best part of our story is about to unfold...

In 21 days (counting today) we will celebrate the Easter Story.
The crucifixion of Jesus was a pretty dramatic turn.
And it wasn't a tragic ending.

It was the beginning of the the best part:
The resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ- victory over sin and the defeat of death!

For the next 21 days, right up to Easter, I am committing to prayer and fasting through this trial.
I will be giving up lunch, and giving extra time to prayer.
I will be seeking an answer to one question:

What Now?

Going without lunch is a physical way to express a spiritual need.
It is my way of saying, "God, there is something more important to me now than that leftover tuna melt."

This type of fast works for me because it allows me meals with family.
And if I'm meeting with someone over lunch I can still have water or a hot drink.

I am asking you to join me on this journey to Easter.
Give up something for God.
Commit to prayer.
Ask Him, "What now for Connections?"

Let me be clear on this:
I have NO idea what God is going to say.
That's the whole point.
I am seeking an answer we don't have.

But this much I know:

Our Ministry Centre is a pile of ash;
Easter has a way of bringing life out of death;
And our story has never been more exciting!

Please let me know if you'll join me on this journey to Easter.
If you are committing to prayer, or to fasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment