Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Don't Be Boring!

It breaks my heart when I hear someone say they have a "boring" or "normal" life.
A few years ago I was on a trip with some youth and we had a rare moment of down-time.
One of the teenagers couldn't help but say, "This is boring."
I instantly blurted out,
"This isn't boring, YOU are boring!"
The kids looked at me like I said something in a foreign language.
I explained by saying something like this:
Life isn't boring.  But people are.  If you're bored it's because you are a boring waste of flesh.

I started the Parenthood series by challenging families to bring their kids in the incredible story of what God is doing in the world- SAVING IT!
So what are you as a family, or as an individual, going to do this summer to be a part of the story of what God is doing?  Do something exciting.
  • Take a week to do a home project together with your kids- build a half pipe or renovate a kids room.  Let this project be an opportunity for ministry to happen.
  • Fix up a car and donate it to Teen Challenge.
  • Go on a mission trip to another city or country.
  • Take a prayer walk through your neighborhood.
  • Go downtown and hand out invitations to church to folks in the park.
  • Visit a few of the missions in your city- the food bank, a food kitchen, a women's shelter.
  • Read through the New Testament as a family, then celebrate when you finish with a big family party.
  • Call up some families of your kids friends and have a cookout.
This summer, the moment anyone says, "I'm bored," they are opening the door for an adventure.
Jump on that opportunity, and write yourselves an awesome chapter in the story of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment