Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Snow Day Top Ten


OK Connectors, I can't help myself.

As I work away at home on this snow day, now getting ready for a nice hot lunch, I simply must share a few thoughts.
I'll put them in the form of the infamous "Top 10 List" format...

1. If at all possible, stop from your normally busy life, and just be.  Be in the moment.  Be in the snow.  Be with God.  How wonderful it was to take extra time this morning, before my kids were up, to just a child of God before I did anything else.  That was some sweet time in prayer and bible reading.

2. Get into the word!  I've been thoroughly enjoying "Journey to Bethlehem" the past 8 days.  It's a great way to entering into the real miracle of Christmas.

3. Plan ahead!  Yeah, it's great to chill out for a while, but now I'm using this time for some advanced planning for our church.  I think this snow is God's way of forcing me to not fill this week with do work, but planning better works.  You know the old proverb about sharpening your ax?  Well, I'm working to get mien razor sharp!

4.  HELP YOUR NEIGHBOURS!  If you are in good health go our and help!  I have actually cherished time the past two days working with my neighbors and getting to know new neighbours- we helped the couple who just had a baby 2 months ago, the lady who can't run her snow blower any more, the single mom busy with her kids and trying to clear her drive.

5.  Help your neighbours.  Did I mention this already?  Really, you can do some AMAZING ministry during this storm!  Your neighbours are home and need help!  Go bake some cookies and share them with the kids playing on your street!

6.  Bake some cookies!  When I came in around 10:30am to the smell of fresh baked oatmeal cookies.... it's a good thing (that's my homage to all you Martha lovers out there).

7.  If you have kids- PLAY WITH THEM!  Dad-up and play with your little ones!  Mom-up and go outside and have a snowball fight!

8.  Stop for a second.  A few days ago you were complaining that you didn't have time to do something: a project at home, a book to read, paperwork to get done.  Guess what?  You have time now.

9.  Talk to someone.  Pick up your phone and make that call.  You mom missed you.  Your friend wants to hear from you.  So call.

10.  Give Thanks To God.  I know for some it's hard, and that snow storms can be dangerous.  But take some time today to give God some serious prayer time and praise.  It will be time very well spent!

With Prayers and Blessing from your pastor,
George
PS, I waxed up my CC skis and I'm heading out for visits this afternoon.  Give a call if you need anything!

2 comments: