Yeah, you read me right- I think you are all schmucks!
And so does God!
The more common meaning is used in the recent movie release, "Dinner for Schmucks." Basically it's an insult- a foolish, annoying and obnoxious person. Or at least I think this is how the movie intends for us to interpret the word. (I'm also told that it sounds dangerously similar to a very insulting Yiddish word, but we won't go there.)
But there's an older meaning.
It's a German surname that means "Precious Jewel."
"On that day the LORD their God will save them, as the flock of his people;
for like the jewels of a crown they shall shine on his land."
~ Zechariah 9:16
Did you know that you are a precious jewel to God?
Did you know that God desires to save your life?
Did you know that you were made to shine in the presence of God for all eternity?
Did you know that you were made to shine in the presence of God for all eternity?
Christine Van Dyk told me she grew up singing a song called "Precious Jewels," with the following chorus...
When He cometh, when He cometh
To make up His jewels;
All His jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.
CHORUS:
Like the stars of the morning
His bright crown adorning
They shall shine in their beauty,
Bright gems for His crown.
Today I invite all of you to hold your head high.
You are a bright jewel for His crown.
Yes, you are a schmuck!

No comments:
Post a Comment